Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Tourist Attractions in Jaipur

Decades ago I saw photos of Jantar Mantar in Jaipur, a royal observatory built in the first half of the 1700's by Jai Singh II. The instruments were built for naked-eye observations of the celestial bodies and precision was achieved through their monumental scale. The remarkably contemporary looking structures and the geometry they embody has always appealed to me. Finally seeing the real thing did not disappoint. I especially loved the gridded concave spherical structures set into the ground.
  




  

Amber Fort, built by Maan Singh I in the 16th century, scales the hills just outside Jaipur.







                         

 The City Palace Complex in Jaipur is still a royal residence.









1 comment:

  1. Really enjoyed this post, Anne! Wow... I see your work in all of these photos. I esp. love the last two doorway pix and those first two images so bring to mind your paintings. Hope your journey is restful and equally interesting.

    ReplyDelete